Monday, May 20, 2013

Deeper Dive into My European Ancestry

I was back at the 23andMe site again today, and discovered that the Ancestry Composition profile has another dimension under the sub-Regional Resolution option. By clicking on the blue outer ring of the map, the following detail was revealed:


99.5%
European
Northern European
8.1%
British and Irish
3.0%
Scandinavian
2.0%
French and German
0.7%
Finnish
76.9%
Nonspecific Northern European
< 0.1%
Eastern European
8.9%
Nonspecific European











I was somewhat intrigued to learn that very little of my Northern European ancestry is confirmed in the analyses of the alleles they looked at. This fact highlights the need in my case of getting more of my family members to do the DNA testing. If you visit my family tree information either through 23andMe, Family Search (see: familysearch.org), or by downloading one of my gedcom files here (I will be posting them soon to Family Tree Hunter so stay tuned), you will see that my British and Irish ancestry is more likely in the neighborhood of 65% and my verified Scandinavian ancestry is at least 20%. So the 8.1% and 3% numbers here seem underwhelming and leave me flat in terms of my overall expectations. The only surprises in the table above are the percentages of French, German and Finnish DNA, which are cool just for the fact that I don't currently have anybody in my Family Tree with those nationalities...unless you consider the Norman English to be French, then I am most certainly more than 2% French. And if you consider the Vikings and invading Saxons (of Anglo-Saxon fame) to be Germans, I am most certainly more than 2% German. I find it very convenient that they list 76.9% as Nonspecific Northern European because no matter what my Family Tree looks like, it would inevitably fit that loose definition. In short, this chart is not very helpful due to the lack of specificity. Solution? Come on relatives out there! Get your DNA tested so that I can compare myself to your numbers...please?

Another surprise is that my paternal Haplogroup (the I2b1 subgroup) results in less than a 0.1% as eastern European of my overall European ancestry (99.5% of my total Ancestry Composition report), when by definition the I Haplogroup is supposed to be made up of mostly southern and eastern European groups all emanating from the Balkans in southeastern Europe. How does one explain this? Well, I am starting a discussion thread today on the 23andMe web site with that very question on it. I will let you know what the DNA experts there have to say. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. I just got this today from one of my 23andMe group members:
    NYMark just responded to your story "Low southern and eastern European ancestry in the I2 Haplogr...":

    "This is a pet peeve of mine. 23andMe's Y haplogroups are several years out of date, with latest ISOGG revisions to the tree coming just a few days ago.

    The description of Haplogroup I2 is also misleading. It only pertains to the deep origins of the group as a whole, but just yesterday I posted about how easy it is to be confused by the description. I2b1*/I2b1, now called M223 on FTDNA and I2a2a (with numerous subgroups) by the ISOGG, branched off in northwest Europe and is also well-represented in the British Isles.

    In addition, Y-DNA is not considered in Ancestry Composition, since it's deeply ancestral and only reflects the direct paternal line. Thus, for example, you could be Ashkenazi Jewish for Ancestry Composition purposes and still have I2b1* (or whatever) as a paternal haplogroup. It happens, but it's uncommon.

    While 23andMe is focused on autosomal testing, and their Y-testing is perfunctory, something that probably won't change, they could update their nomenclature and do a much better job of explaining all this."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad is a Taylor and also I-M223. You can see his results here - http://www.witchcraftsartisanalchemy.com/my-genetic-ancestry/

    ReplyDelete